Forty Paradoxes of our Time
What we have done and have not done -
1. added years to life, not life to years.
2. been to the moon and back, but have trouble meeting a neighbour.
3. begun cleaning up the air, but continue to pollute the soul.
4. build bigger houses and smaller families;
5. fancier houses, but more broken homes.
6. buy more, but have less in our homes.
7. compete more, co-operate less;
8. conquered outer space, but not inner space.
9. done larger things, but not necessarily better things.
10. fast foods and slow digestion;
11. hate too much, love too little
12. higher incomes, but lower morals;
13. learned how to make a living, but not a life.
14. learned to rush, but not to wait.
15. more computers to hold more information to produce more copies than ever, but less communication.
16. more conveniences, but less time;
17. more experts in more fields, but it seems we have more problems;
18. more food, but less satisfaction;
19. more kinds of food, but less nutrition.
20. more knowledge, but it often appears less judgement;
21. more leisure, but less fun;
22. more medicine, but less wellness.
23. more quantity, less quality;
24. more university degrees, but less sense;
25. much in the show window but little in the stockroom;
26. multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values.
27. pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, and even kill and fill;
28. plan more, but accomplish less.
29. prettier food, less taste;
30. quick trips, disposable nappies, throw away morality, one-night stands, overweight bodies;
31. spend more, but feel we have less;
32. split the atom, but not congealed our prejudices.
33. steep profits and shallow relationships.
34. tall men, and short character;
35. too much drinking, smoking spending, speeding, anger, staying up late, getting too tired, TV watching but too little laughing, or thinking or pondering.
36. two incomes, but more divorce;
37. we have taller buildings, but shorter tempers;
38. wider freeways, but narrower viewpoints;
39. write more, but seem to learn less;
40. technology can bring this to you via email, when you can choose either to make a difference ... or just hit delete.